Position: Design Engineer – Gearboxes and eDrives
True fundamental technologies only come around once in a while! Orbitless is the first new low noise, high efficiency gearing configuration in generations, and is looking to make its mark in the world of moving things!! From eMobility to Home Automation, the applications for the Orbitless technology is endless. Join the revolution!
Orbitless Drives is an early-stage company working to commercialize its patented, low-noise, high-efficiency, epi-cyclic, gear box platform for electric motor applications. We are looking to expand our technical R&D team to develop Orbitless-based transmission systems for diverse customer specifications. This includes developing high-level (topology, tooth counts) and low-level (module, face-width, bearings & shaft loads) gear-box design specifications, mechanical optimization, 3-D CAD modeling and simulation.
Members of the Orbitless team have diverse responsibilities, an ability to quickly adapt to new business opportunities, and do whatever needs to be done. We have a global customer base (US, Europe, China) so some travel may be required. You must be a team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, the motivation and ability to quickly learn both electrical and mechanical technical matters, and can work both independently and as part of a team.
In this role you will:
- Promote Orbitless technology to prospective customers.
- Work with prospective customers to develop new sets of requirements, constraints and goals (RCGs) and develop Orbitless solutions to satisfy them.
- Develop Solidworks CAD models of new proposals.
- Generate theoretical data plots using Matlab.
- Develop simulation models, produce simulated performance data, and analyze the data to make practical conclusions.
- Optimize designs based on theoretical and simulated data.
- Build working proof-of-concept prototypes using 3D printing and basic machining.
- Communicate the results in PowerPoint slide decks and technical papers.
- Participate in face-to-face and teleconference meetings with clients.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- 2+ years industrial experience in mechanical power transmission.
- Strong math and physics skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with engineering design optimization.
- Strong working knowledge of Solidworks and Matlab/Simulink.
- Strong working knowledge of mechanical simulation software (Ansys, Romax Designer, Simulation X, SMT or other).
- Basic hands-on prototyping skills (basic machining, 3D printing, component sourcing, assembly).
- Knowledge of electric motors fundamentals.
- Electrical circuit and programming skills are a strong asset.
- Basic computer aptitude (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
Who are we?
Most powertrain gear boxes use technology that has been around for generations, but new applications make new demands that are not well addressed by the conventional approach. The Orbitless drive uses standard components, but makes less noise and friction than any other gearing configuration. It is our mission to make it the standard solution for all noise and energy sensitive applications such as electric vehicles and smart homes. We are currently working with some of the global leaders in electro-mechanical simulation, automotive, medical device, and robotic actuation. Our ambitious plans mean we are always looking for new talent and offer unique opportunities to grow and achieve goals in an agile team environment.
What do we offer?
Orbitless Drives Inc. is an early-stage opportunity that offers a competitive salary, equity options, minimum 2 weeks holiday, a flexible working environment, and exposure to some of the leading companies in the world.
To find out more, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org